Common Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How are things different this year with COVID protocols? This document outlines the broad changes.

Please see the PARENT HANDBOOK for more details about camp policies and procedures.

When does registration open?

We have opened camper registration on November 15 for the last several years. We announce open registration on Facebook and Instagram, too.

How do I complete Camp Riverlea paperwork?

Our registration software keeps all paperwork in one place. If you log in to CampInTouch and click the yellow “forms and documents” icon, you’ll see a list of required paperwork. You can also check to see what has and has not yet been completed. For each camper, we need the following: an application, transportation form, health history, and immunization history. Regarding immunizations: the software saves information year-to-year if it’s typed into the system rather than uploaded as a PDF. All paperwork is required at least one week prior to your camper’s start of camp.

Can families visit while camp is in session? 

Because of COVID-19, families will not be able to visit their children when camp is in session this year.

There was no open house this year, can I still get a tour of camp? 

Tours this year will be limited, but if you are interested, please email Amy (campersupport@campriverlea.com), our Parent & Staff Liaison, to schedule a time to be sure that someone will be available to show you around. Also, all non-campers on the tours will need to be fully vaccinated. 

Who will be in my child’s group?

We group campers by school grade (rising first graders will be with rising first graders, second with second, etc.). If a camper is either young or old for their grade, we talk with the family to find the most sensible group assignment for them at camp.

What should my child bring to camp?

Please click here for a list of what to bring.

For 2021, please also send your camper with a mask.

What should I do if my child’s transportation plans change?

FOR 2021 — we are not allowing campers to switch busses for any trip to/from camp.

Before camp, each family should complete the Transportation form on our website by logging into CampInTouch and selecting a transportation option. A few days before each session, we assign campers to our bus lists and allocate the proper number of busses to each stop. (Depending on popularity, there may be 2 busses beginning at either the Duke or Forest Hills stop, one of which will also stop at the Guess road drop off location on the way to/from camp). If you wish to switch transportation immediately before or during the session, please e-mail Ben, the program director, to see if the switch is possible (the bus may already be at capacity). The best way to communicate permissible transportation changes with us is to handwrite a note and give it to a bus counselor. The important information we want to know is: camper first and last name; first and last name of adult who will pick up camper; time and/or location at which the camper will be picked up; and mode of transportation. Here are two examples of notes for a camper who normally rides a bus from Duke: “Eric Reid will be picked up at camp by Bill Murray at 1:30pm on Monday” or “On Friday, Carli Lloyd will ride to and from camp on the Forest Hills bus and be picked up by Toni Morrison”. If you like, you can also e-mail Ben to let him know if your plans.

When do campers eat?

Mid-morning: Riverlea provides a light snack of crackers or cookies and water or “bug juice” (Gatorade) for all campers. If preferred, campers may bring their own snack to eat at this time. It should be packed separately from their lunch so that campers can get it out of their cubbies rather than out of the lunch fridge.

Lunch: Campers bring lunch from home. Because we put all lunches in a refrigerator, there is no need for icepacks or large insulated lunchboxes, so please pack your child’s lunch in a small lunchbox or bag. Riverlea provides water, “bug juice” (Gatorade), and milk to drink at lunchtime. We provide lunch for campers who accidentally forget their food at home or in the car. Campers often eat more at camp than they do at school. We recommend packing a big and filling lunch.

Afternoon snack? We do not provide an afternoon snack. If campers are hungry, they are always allowed to eat the rest of their lunch at a designated table during free swim, before 3:30pm. We do not allow kids to eat around camp, and never on the bus. We do this  to prevent accidental exposure to possible food allergens. On the first day of each session, we tell all campers that this table is available when they want to eat extra food, as well as explain to them the health safety reasons for our food policies. There are usually campers eating at this table. Many camp families have found it helpful to bring a small snack and drink with them in the car for when their camper gets off the bus. Of course, we never deny campers access to food and water, and are happy to provide hungry kids with a snack if they are without their own food.

Who provides first aid to campers? 

Riverlea’s first aid manager is the primary first aid provider. The program directors, 9 (or more) lifeguards, and various other counselors also hold certification in CPR and first aid and may administer first aid when needed. All staff are CPR/FA certified, and bus counselors have first aid kits with them on the bus and at the bus stops. In case of emergency, medical first responders are stationed at the Lebanon Fire Station, just 2.5 miles away from Riverlea. We contact parents/guardians by phone in case of any injury or illness that requires follow-up attention, medication, or is worse than the common minor scrapes and bug bites.

What if my child needs to take medication while at camp? 

Only the camp first aid manager or a program director my dispense medicine at Riverlea. Please have medication in original packaging, labeled with your child’s name, and hand it to a counselor or staff member along with written instructions on dosages. The camp first aid manager keeps all medication secured at the first aid station in the Shire and will dispense it per instructions provided. Medication includes any prescriptions as well as over-the-counter drugs, such as Tylenol, Advil, and allergy medicine. No medication may be kept in campers’ cubbies or lunchboxes.

My child wants to keep in touch with another camper from their group. How do we reach them?

We never give out anyone’s personal information without their explicit permission. Just send Ben an e-mail saying which camper’s family you’d like to be in contact with, and he can forward your e-mail to that particular family.

What is Camp Riverlea’s tax ID?

Our tax ID number is 56-2329717.

A camp tradition for Durham area children

Facebook Twitter Instagram